< Back to results
Senior Software Engineer, BackEnd
- Full Time
- Mid-Senior Level
Senior Software Engineer, BackEnd
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100″ most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, Rent The Runway established its first operation outside of the U.S, creating an E.U Software Development and Technology hub in the historic Claddagh area of Galway city centre in 2019. The growing team of software engineers and data scientists tackle core technology challenges critical to Rent the Runway’s overall success and the future of the next generation of services. Our employees have the opportunity to launch and grow their careers across a number of exciting roles in engineering and technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
We are always interested in speaking with developing and experienced Back-end engineers interested in joining our team. If that’s you, read on for a snapshot of the type of work our Back-end engineers do across our various teams, share your details and a member of our Talent team will be in touch!
About the role:
As a Backend Engineer at Rent the Runway, you will work with an enthusiastic team of engineers focused on serving products (apparel and beyond!) across the RTR platform.
You’ll improve the architecture, functionality, quality and continuous delivery of the service and its subsystems. You’ll integrate product data with our inhouse Systems. You’ll build internal tools for our partnering teams. You’ll work in an agile environment and build high quality, performant software while solving high impact and complex problems! You’ll build robust services that uphold the financial integrity of our data. You’ll evolve the services to scale with the business and adapt to changes in business direction, including our migration to the cloud and our continued mission to be a leader in the circular economy.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll deprecate and remove services that no longer suit our needs.
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder and removing roadblocks in an agile software development environment.
- Assist in prioritisation efforts, planning future roadmaps, and providing mentorship to others
- Deepen your knowledge and build your skills across our technology stack: Java, Kotlin, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Dropwizard, Spring Boot, React, Bootstrap, Splunk, SignalFX
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or demonstrable practical experience
- A strong command of best practices, design patterns, and system architecture tradeoffs
- Knowledge of various types of data stores, and their pros-and-cons
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimisation
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- High level of comfort navigating ambiguity and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- Experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, Swagger/OpenAPI)
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience with cloud migration – refactor & re-architecture of consumer facing applications and data stores.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave – every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program – because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service – unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension – taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment – Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings – our team spirit is no joke – we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work – when our corporate employees safely return to the office post-COVID, they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.